[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/153833748″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true&show_playcount=true&show_comments=true” width=”100%” height=”81″ iframe=”false” /]
More than 60 countries either ban or require labeling on GMO foods; the US is not one of them. As GMO regulation moves to a local level, frustrated consumers and farmers are pushing for state or county regulations, but the seed and pesticide companies are fighting back.
Listen to the complete 5 segment Making Contact episode.
- Rebekah Wilce, Progressive and ALEC Exposed reporter
- Marcia Ishii-Eiteman, Pesticide Action Network senior scientist
- Don Tipping, Seven Seeds Farm owner
- Chris Hardy, Rogue valley farmer
- Elise Higley, Our Family Farms Coalition leader
- Magdeleno Rose-Avila, Yes on 15-119 volunteer
- Barry Bushue, American Farm Bureau vice president
- Klayton Kubo, Kauai citizen; Gary Hooser, Kauai County Council member
- Dr. Judy Shabert, Harvard Physician
- Chris Broussard, Whinney Hee, James Masey, concerned Kauai residents
- Dean Okimoro, Farm Bureau Association president
- David Louie, Hawaii Attorney General
- Harry Stalford & Willow Coberly, Stalford Seed Farms farmers
Listen to individual segments
Host/Producer: Andrew Stelzer
Producers: Laura Flynn, George Lavender, Jasmin Lopez
Contributing Producers: Barbara Bernstein, James Trimarco
Production Intern: Luna Gallegos
Andrew Stelzer is a radio producer for Making Contact. His radio work has appeared on programs including Marketplace, NPR News, BBC’s The World, Latino USA, Radio France International’s Crossroads, Free Speech Radio News, and on Making Contact since 2008. His print work has appeared in The St Petersburg Times, In These Times, E! Magazine, and elsewhere. Andrew was previously the senior reporter and anchor at WMNF radio in Tampa, FL.
Making Contact is an award-winning, 29-minute weekly magazine-style public affairs program heard on 140 radio stations in the USA, Canada, South Africa and Ireland.
Making Contact is committed to in-depth critical analysis that goes beyond the breaking news. Showcasing voices and perspectives rarely heard in mainstream media, Making Contact focuses on the human realities of politics and the connections between local and global events, emphasizing positive and creative ways to solve problems.